ZSNES is a Super Nintendo emulator programmed by zsKnight and Demo. On April 2, 2001 the ZSNES project was GPL’ed and its source released to the public. It currently runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and DOS. Remember that this is a public beta so don’t expect this to run on your machine.
Here is some information about the emulator:
- ZSNES can run on Windows, MS-DOS, and Linux/FreeBSD operating systems.
- ZSNES supports mode 7, sound, Super FX, and a lot of other features of the Super Nintendo hardware.
- ZSNES has a user-friendly interface with various options and settings.
- ZSNES can play games from various regions and formats, such as NTSC, PAL, SPC, and SMC.
- ZSNES can save and load states, take screenshots, record movies, and use cheat codes.
- ZSNES was started in 1997 by zsKnight and Demo as a DOS-based emulator.
- ZSNES was later ported to Windows and Linux/FreeBSD by pagefault and Nach.
- ZSNES was released under the GNU General Public License in 2001 and its source code was made public.
- ZSNES had many contributors over the years, such as blargg, Pharos, teuf, EvilTypeGuy, and others.
- ZSNES has not been updated since 2007 and is now considered obsolete.
- The ZSNES emulator can be downloaded for free on this page by clicking on the Download button and on this site you can also find free games (ROMs) to download or play online.